News

Binge worthy box sets to watch while you’re in self-isolation

With Boris Johnson’s latest announcement of at least two-week isolation needed for Covid-19 victims, The Yorkie have you sorted with the best binge-worthy box sets.

We asked on Twitter for the best reviews and recommendations!

The Stranger (Netflix)

User rodcambridge on IMBD says:

“I enjoyed this show. After watching the first episode on a Friday night, I felt compelled to watch another three, and then the remaining episodes the following day.

Lots of twists and some interesting characters kept me intrigued – I especially liked Hannah John-Kamen’s portrayal of The Stranger.

Some things bothered me, though. Why do all of these people live literally on the same road, opposite each other, go to the same school, attend the same football club, etc? That seemed a little too ‘convenient’ for me. These, and some other coincidences (which you’ll see) made things a bit detracting for me. This all culminated in an ending which was OK but, again, just a little too convenient.

Having said all of that, it was quite an entertaining eight episodes and I’d recommend giving it a watch!”

24 (Amazon Prime)

Capitalist Doll on Amazon Prime says:

“My best friend told me to watch this series years ago but I never seemed to find the time. This past week I’ve been down with a severe sinus attack so it seemed a good time to check out “24”. WOW!! Non-stop action and intrigue, just the way I like it. I’m not a big fan of gratuitous violence and many so-called intrigue shows have a lot of that but “24” doesn’t.

Oh, it has its share of violence, some of which was new to me, but at least it made sense to the story. I admit I was a tad perturbed at some of the stupid choices a few of the characters made that put them in harm’s way, but it’s easy to armchair those situations. Ditto the fact that there’s a lot of rogue activity in the agency which immediately puts a business owner on edge because of the gaps in the protocol, but overall, it’s a great series.

I’ve watched 54 episodes already and unless they get too political, I’ll probably go the distance with this one. (It’s a pet peeve of mine when producers rewrite history to suit their programming.) I must say, before this series the only exposure I had to Kiefer Sutherland was his character in “A Few Good Men”. He’s terrific in this series, as are the other regs.

Lots of great action and good storylines!”

Lost (Amazon Prime)

Cthulhu on Amazon Prime says:

“To me, LOST is the best TV series of the third millennium, so far. Prison Break comes as a closed second and Heroes is closely behind. I am very surprised that TV series can be made this good these days when cost-cutting and declining standards seem to be the norm everywhere else. But, not in the world of television, it seems.

LOST employs a cast of dozens to tell a big story. How big the story is? I don’t know yet, it seems that we could have another 10 seasons and not come close to an end.

But, slowly, what begins as your run of the mill airliner crash survivors story keeps adding layers on top of layers, expands, branches out in unexpected directions and, episode after episode after episodes keeps us mesmerized, guessing, mourning those lost and left behind, surprised, intrigued and always ready for more.”

Friends (Netflix)

User midz on IMBD says:

“There never has been a sitcom that truly pictures life among the singles (twenty-something) as good as this show does. It’s not just comedy, it presents the episodes in such a way that one can truly identify with the situations they face so the audience has something to talk about in coffee shops too.
The humor is universal. I feel like I’m part of the group every time I watch it because I feel the different emotions they go through.
Plus, of course, it is so much fun because it’s fast-paced. Every scene and every moment is relative to what is going to happen next so you don’t feel like it is dragging you onto nothing. Just like how a sitcom should be. Funny!”

Good Omens (Amazon Prime)

User Derri on Amazon Prime says:

“Adaptations can be hit or miss. So I’m delighted to say this is a home run. Good Omens the TV show has kept incredibly true to the book, and the, frankly fantastic, acting of Michael Sheen and David Tennant keep the viewer wonderfully entertained.

The story of Armageddon has never been so much rollicking good fun. John Hamm, best known for Mad Men, plays socially handicapped Gabriel, and Jack Whitehall embodies Newton Pulsifer as though it was written for him.

Readers will admire the way the writing remains true to our beloved favorite, and first-time viewers will enjoy the romp through the End of Days.”

Friday Night Dinner (Netflix)

User eselim9175 on IMBD says:

“This is a really good example of a situation comedy where relatively small and seemingly trivial things can be focused on and expanded into hilarious situations. The show rarely extends beyond the confines of the house and typically revolves around the four main characters with the strange neighbour next door making regular appearances and perhaps another individual included for the particular episode in question.

There is a very strong cast and the comedy is balanced between a decent plot, (or set-up), excellent dialogue and some visual humour. It really does have the feel of a family with the little nuances that make family life very funny at times. This is a quality show, which may be under the radar a little, compared to other more high profile productions, but actually is far better than most of them.

Well worth watching an entire episode, (they wrap themselves up quite neatly and satisfactorily in the end), if you haven’t heard or seen it before. Far more people are going to enjoy this than not.”