You are here
Home > Sport > Football > Hard fought draw for York City against Farsley Celtic

Hard fought draw for York City against Farsley Celtic

York City faced Farsley Celtic away in their second game in the National League North on Saturday. A draw for York at the weekend encouraged fans that their great start to the season could continue.The Minstermen have performed well in both FA Cup qualifying matches and their first league game against Chorley, storming to victory with a 3-1 league over the Lancashire club.

York City started the game off brilliantly. The first half very much belonged to York, with players putting forward a strong attack with left-back Sean Newton scoring a well-deserved goal in the first half, ensuring that York’s improved form was still there.

However, after this rude awakening, Farsley Celtic fought on in the second half as York started to run out of steam and stopped attacking regularly. With the tide seemingly turning, Farsley Celtic midfielder, Dave Syers headed the ball into the net for an 84th minute equaliser. This denied York City the three points that the team had hoped to get out of the match on Saturday.

Steve Watson, manager of York City, said that the team looked: “Fairly comfortable” and “controlled the first half”, but explained that: “It was a lot tougher to get in behind in the second half because the wind was with us. We thought we could still get plenty of the ball in front of them but we just didn’t use it well enough”.

Watson continued to critique his team’s performance in the second half, explaining that: “We made bad decisions with it (the ball). Knowing when to cross it, when to play another pass, when to shoot, the runs into the box, they could all be better and need to be better”.

Understandably, Watson seemed frustrated about the team’s loss, especially the decrease in quality of play from the first half to the second half but will be hoping for three points on Saturday against Brackley Town at home.

As well as next Saturday’s league match, York are set to play Chorley once again in the third FA Cup qualifying match tomorrow at 19:45 and will be hoping for a repeat of their last game against the team. Chorley will be livestreaming the game on their own pay-per view platform.