After a recent outbreak of meningitis in Kent, York St John University are spreading awareness of the illness and how their students should stay safe.
What is the Meningitis outbreak?
There is currently an investigation in Canterbury, Kent after 27 cases of Meningitis B have been identified.
Since the start of the outbreak, a 21-year-old student from the University of Kent and a sixth form student have passed away.
Meningitis B, is the strain of bacteria behind the outbreak.
The infection is usually spread by people who carry the virus or bacteria in their nose or throat.
However, the illness can lie dormant and people may not display symptoms.
Actions such as sneezing, coughing or kissing are ways in which it could spread.
More information can be found on the NHS website or Meningitis now.
GP’s across the country have been advised to prescribe antibiotics to anyone who attended a club in Kent between the 5th-7th March.
Club Chemistry has been linked to the outbreak.
Health Secretary, Wes Streeting, has told the BBC that 2,500 doses of antibiotics have been given out so far.
A targeted vaccine programme for 5,000 students in Kent is also to begin.

18-year-old Mariam Vilkaste, a Law student at the University of Kent feels ‘uncertain’ about the outbreak.
She states, “Most students like myself found out about the outbreak on Sunday evening and ever since we have been eyeing the news for any updates.”
“The vast majority of the British population are completely unprotected from Men B, so while I am relieved that a vaccination programme is about to be rolled out for us, I feel that more needs to be done.”
The vaccine for MenB has been available since 2015 for babies, however students, teens and adults born after then have not received it.
What has York St John University done?
Following the deaths of the two young people, York St John University have begun to advise students on how to stay safe and vigilant and how to recognise the signs of meningitis.

Around the YSJ campus and in student accommodations, posters have been placed warning about how the illness can be spread.
The University has also used its social media platforms, urging students to be aware of symptoms.
Students have been made aware that more information and support can be found at The Student Hub.
A parent of a student at York St John says she feels “reassured” following the information posted by the University.

Laura Huntley, 37, stated that “You can’t help but feel worried, MenB is dangerous.”
“It is important that we are vigilant when looking for symptoms, because it can go very badly very quickly.”
“However, knowing that the University is making students aware of the symptoms, makes me feel reassured.”
Anyone with concerns that they may have meningitis are advised to call NHS 111 or your GP.
In an emergency dial 999 and ask for an ambulance, or go to your nearest A&E.