You are here
Home > Sport > Football > York City’s FA Cup second chance

York City’s FA Cup second chance

York City felt they came up short over the weekend with a 1-1 draw in their FA cup match up.

York hosted lower league side Morpeth Town FC, at the LNER Community Stadium, for a place in the FA cup proper first round. After going 1-0 up after 26 minutes from the headed effort of Mark Beck, York could not convert anymore chances and were put on the back foot.

York City manager, Steve Watson was less then pleased with the performance stating: “We didn’t test the keeper enough from open, we knew what we worked on and that wasn’t it.” Contrasting City’s open plays, Morpeth forced Pete Jameson to perform two “great saves”, as well as a goal line clearance from out of position Akil Wright.

York preventing a counter attack. Credit: York St John Media.

Eventually, Morpeth broke through City’s defence. To make it 1-1, Ben Sayer tucked the ball away from a headed pass in the 74th minute. York’s leading goal scorer, Clayton Donaldson, came on for the last quarter in place for goal scorer Beck. In the dying minutes, Donaldson netted the ball, but was offside. Leaving the score 1-1, one York City fan said on social media: “We were lucky to get a draw, credit to Morpeth, they never gave up and wanted it more.”

York and Morpeth booked a rematch. Set for this Tuesday, York travels to Craik Park for the 19:45pm replay.

York defending a set piece. Credit: York St John media.

The result of York’s replay will determine who plays the winner of Kettering Town Vs Buxton replay. York will host the First Round proper on the first weekend of November if they come away with a win. Kettering Town are level with York on points in the league with goal difference giving them the edge. Moreover, lower league side Buxton sit in the top three. They have three games in hand over opposition providing a chance to go first. York’s next FA Cup opposition will prove to be tougher than the current hurdle.